We provide adapted evaluations including midterms and final exams to students who are registered with Access Service.
Adapted Exams Procedures
To write an exam with Academic Accommodations Services:
- Create a Ventus account.
- Meet with a Learning Specialist.
- Professors will notify the Academic Accommodations Services that your course has an upcoming exam.
- Confirm your exam and your accommodations via Ventus.
- Verify the location of your exam in Ventus
Note: Seats can be changed up to 24 hours before the exam.
- Final exams: Fall session confirm by November 15th
- Final exams: Winter session confirm by March 15th
- All other types of exams (Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer): confirm at the latest 7 days before the exam.
Contacting professors during exams
- To contact your professor, remind them to provide Academic Accommodations Services with their contact information.
- The professor can also visit your location or can call the Exam Hotline (confidential number for professors only) to communicate exam related information.
On the day of your exam
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the exam.
- Provide student card.
- Bring your own headset for assistive software.
- Students who arrive more than thirty (30) minutes after the examination has begun will not be allowed to write the examination (see Academic Regulation 9.4).
- Students must stay at the Academic Accommodations Services until 1 hour after the exam starts in class. During this time, cell phones or any other electronic devices are not permitted. Any such device or tool must be shut off, stored and out of reach (see Academic Regulation 9.4).
- Personal belongings are NOT permitted in the exam rooms; the University is not responsible for lost or stolen belongings.
- Cell phones or any other electronic devices are not allowed in the exam rooms.
- No food or drink is allowed in the exam rooms with the exception of bottled water.
- Scented products (perfumes, colognes, hand creams, etc.) are not allowed.
- Exam proctors cannot answer any questions related to the content of the exam.
- If you have any concerns during the exam, please inform the proctor immediately for assistance.
Justification of absence from an examination
- According to the Academic Regulation 9.5: “Absence from any examination or test, or late submission of assignments due to illness, psychological problems or exceptional personal circumstances must be justified; otherwise, students will be penalized.”
- Students must directly notify their professor and/or the academic secretariat of the faculty where they are registered, before the exam.
- If the medical or psychological problem is not foreseeable, students must notify their professor and/or the academic secretariat of the faculty where they are registered and submit a medical certificate bearing the date of the absence within five working days of the exam date
Cancelling an exam accommodation
If for any reason, you are unable to write a scheduled exam with the Academic Accommodations Services, please log in to your Ventus account and cancel your confirmation (select “withdraw”) before the start time of your exam or notify exams@uOttawa.ca.