TAO (Therapy Assistance Online)
What is TAO Self-Help?
TAO Self-Help is an online platform of tools and interactive modules that can help you manage the many stressors that come with university life and can help you bounce back from challenging times.
By watching the videos and completing the interactive components, you'll gain the knowledge, self-awareness, and skills you need to achieve your personal goals.
TAO Self-Help is:
- designed with busy students in mind
- meant to be completed at your own pace, when you want, wherever you are
You can work on your goals whenever and wherever you’d like, whether you’ve got 10 minutes or an hour. TAO empowers you to take charge of your life through various pathways, whether you are struggling with sadness, relationship challenges, or other stressors.
Calming Your Worry
There are two versions of this pathway: one focuses on broad life experiences for adults, while the other is tailored to the challenges of the university student. In either version, you will learn to:
- Understand how your thoughts influence your feelings and behaviours,
- Catch negative thoughts and reformulate them,
- Begin to act with greater confidence.
Let Go and Be Well
This pathway reinforces the resilience that lives in you. Resilience is the psychological concept of successfully processing and adapting to change and stress; two things that are often present in the life of a student. This pathway guides you to:
- Accept and embrace your life fully — even its challenges,
- Adapt to unexpected events,
- Learn mindfulness, which allows you to be present and in-the-moment,
- Clarify and understand your own personal values.
Interpersonal Relationships and Communication
Relationships can be challenging sometimes. This pathway will help you understand how to improve your relationships by:
- Building communication skills,
- Learning to recognize unhealthy relationship behaviours,
- Finding ways to manage your anger.
Leave Your Blues Behind
When life feels low, it’s common to think negatively. This pathway will encourage you to find ways to think more positively. You will be encouraged to:
- Pay attention to your thoughts,
- Find ways to view situations differently,
- Learn to use mindfulness techniques.
In doing so, your mood will lift and you'll notice that you don't feel quite as blue anymore.
Improving your Mood
This pathway will teach you that there is truth behind the phrase "fake it till you make it." When we feel down, we tend to withdraw from others and activities. This pathway will:
- Guide you to challenge yourself to engage with your life, even when you don't feel like it,
- Help you to begin to feel better and think more positively.
How to sign up for TAO Self-Help?
TAO Self-Help is a free resource for all uOttawa students, staff and faculty. No appointment is necessary. You can start immediately:
- Access the TAO Self-Help Webpage
- Fill out all the User Information fields (use your @uOttawa.ca email address).
- Create a Password and Confirm your Password.
- Leave the 'Enrollment Key' field blank and click Sign Me Up.
- Check your email. You will be sent a Welcome to TAO email with a confirmation link which you must click on to sign in.
- Start your TAO journey by choosing the pathways that are right for you! Log back into TAO at any time.
Already have an account?
How does it work?
We want you to have free, 24/7, year-round access to resources that help you handle life and feel your best emotionally. TAO Self-Help can improve your understanding, and management of, how you feel, think and act.
How does it work?
- Watch short, informative videos and take part in brief exercises.
- Track your moods and progress with a wellness survey or logs.
- Use the Mindfulness Library and relaxation videos.
TAO can help you to manage your own emotional well-being without the help of a counsellor, or it can be incorporated into your counselling sessions.