Mentoring 101: How can a mentor help you?
“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.”
—John C. Crosby
Student mentors are upper–year students who are trained to help other students develop helpful and effective ways of approaching their studies. They support students by helping them to:
- Develop effective learning strategies and study techniques;
- Strengthen their personal motivation;
- Maintain their academic achievement;
- Set their academic goals;
- Use their time and manage their stress effectively;
- Obtain a referral to professional resources if necessary.
Do you have more questions about Student Mentoring? All 17 of our mentoring centres maintain Facebook pages on which students can ask questions and get the support they need. They can also browse through other students’ inquiries and join in on the discussion!
Mentoring support does not end at the city’s borders: mentors are happy to accommodate students through Skype to provide them with support wherever they happen to be. Students are encouraged to send an email to the relevant mentoring centre to set up a Skype session.